There are three churches that serve the people of Lochaber. They are Bethel Community Church, Lochaber United Church and St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church. All three are located along Highway No. 7. Specific directions can be found by on the How To Find Us page. Anyone visiting Lochaber is more than welcome to attend services at any of these churches. Additional information on the history of these churches can be found on the Lochaber History page.
Bethel Community Church
Established in 1930 on Highway No. 7 in South Lochaber just south of the crossroad to the west side of Lochaber Lake. A small building was erected at that time for the congregation. In the early 1960s, to accomodate the growing congregation, a second level was added to the original building. In the mid-1970s, the congregation again outgrew the building. This time a new church was built overlooking Lochiel Lake and the congregation moved to its current location in 1978. Bethel Community Church is affiliated with the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada. Sunday Worship Service takes place at 11:00 AM.
Lochaber United Church
At the time of the union in 1925 of the Presbyterian, Congregational and Methodist Churches, the congregation of Chalmers Presbyterian Church in Lochaber (which subsequently burned) was divided on whether or not to join the United Chuch of Canada. Those wishing to join the United Church chose to establish their own church and built the Lochaber United Church. The first service of worship was held in the church on October 4, 1931. Sunday services are usually held at 9:15 AM, although occasionally joint services are held with Kings United Church at Loch Katrine. The Loch Katrine Church is also shown on the “How to Find Us” page of this web site.
St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church
Located in a picturesque setting on a knoll about midway down the east side of Lochaber Lake. The first Roman Catholic chapel at Lochaber was built about 1830 and, although it has not been officially documented, it is believed that this church blew down. A second smaller church was erected in 1857. In 1878 this chapel was renovated and enlarged. Part of the 1857 chapel was preserved and serves as the vestry of the present church. The new church was dedicated on September 8th of that year by Bishop Cameron. Sunday mass is celebrated at St. Patrick’s at 10:00 AM.